About the language and other thoughts

9/09/2015

My blog has been quite silent for a while again. I still have a lot of things to be posted - once I have time and energy. But don't worry, I won't be silent again as I have a couple of posts ready already! However, today I'm not here to talk about how often do I post, but in which language should I be posting. Let's still first take a quick peek at what's been up last weeks!
Shirt - H&M, Top - Primark
Jeans - Gina Tricot, Shoes - Primark
Lately, I've been going to school, planning my future and the usual stuff. These pics were taken a couple of weeks ago and now I finally got them edited and uploaded here. Those jeans I love, I bought them from Gina Tricot in the summer and they've been in use in daily bases. I also own a black-and-white version of those and I don't know which ones I like the best. Everything in my life is totally fine if we don't count the fact that I gained at least ten pounds during the weekend - my dad got a birthday and we ate better than well... anyways I'm doing okay and hopefully after the deadline of business' internal assessment I'll be able to post more again!
And now I think it's time to talk about the topic I wanted to talk about. The language. This blog started as a blog written in English. At some point I wrote a few posts in both Finnish and English. Now I've been blogging only in English and it feels natural. I have another, nail-art-related blog, in Finnish, but now I've started wondering whether I should start writing this one also in Finnish or not.
The thought isn't too appealing. English is a huge part of my life at the moment and it seems to be the best language for me to write. However I know that in Finnish my writing skills are better, I'm able to produce interesting, clear and nice text all over. Finnish still is my one and only mother tongue despite the fact that I'm bilingual and capable of doing this in English. The thing that really makes me wonder to change the language is the audience of mine. Who is reading this blog? Mainly Finns. Finns who understand Finnish perfectly. And if I'm writing about the IB, applying universities abroad and travelling, I'm writing from a point of view of a Finn. Who could be interested? Another Finn.
This had lead me into a point where I think, I should give a say to you. I'm quite sure that I am going to start adding translations in the end of each post, but what do you think? Should I start an operation of transferring my blog totally into Finnish? Or should I include both languages or just keep the main focus in another and add small translations to each post? The stage, or the comment box, is yours. 

 Hope you enjoyed the weekend as much as I did and see you soon!

You Might Also Like

6 kommenttia

  1. I'm totally fine with English because it feels very natural for me to read but if all/most of your readers are Finns, they might prefer posts in Finnish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I've been thinking! But let's see, right now I'm thinking I'm gonna keep English and just simply add a short translation in Finnish :)

      Delete
  2. Mä toisaalta tykkään tästä näin englanniksi kirjoitettuna, kun siinä petraantuu omakin kielipää kun lukee näitä, mutta toisaalta enemmän tykkään lukea suomenkielisiä blogeja. Sun blogi on kyllä sellainen, jonka postaukset jaksan lukea, vaikka ne englanniksi onkin, mutta yleensäottaen tykkään enemmän suomenkielisistä :-D Okei, tästä kommentista ei ollut minkäänlaista hyötyä, mutta mun mielestä sun pitäis kirjoittaa sillä kielellä millä itse haluat ja mikä tuntuu luonnollisemmalta :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi, kiva kuulla, että tätä jaksaa lukea! :) Itsellä on vähän sama, et luen edelleen mieluummin suomenkielisiä blogeja, mut jostain syystä kummiskin englanti on valikoitunut itselle kirjoituskieleksi :D Mut hei, kaikki kommentit on hyödyllisiä - tiedänpähän ainaskin, että englanniksikin kirjoitettuna lukijoita löytyy :)

      Delete
  3. Mulle englanti on joksus helpompaa (sanat löytyy nopeemmin) ku suomi vaikka paljasjalkanen kainuulainen oonki. Mutta tällä hetkellä jos ei sais kirjottaa suomeks niin menis helpommin ruotsiksi ku enkuksi koska nyt ollaan just yo-kuuntelukokeen ja kirjallisen kokeen välissä ja enkkua oon opiskellu viimeks keväällä (vaikkka sitä päivittäin netissä käytänki) xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, ruotsi on mulle semmonen kieli joka ei suju yhtään :D Kyllä mä sillä kielellä simppelit asiat tajuan ja jonkun verta ruotsinkielistä musiikkia kuuntelen, mut en kyllä ite osais käyttää yhtään! Enkku ja suomi alkaa olla se ja sama, et kumpaa kieltä käytän. Toki suomi on mun ainoa äidinkieli ja osaan käyttää sitä "hienommin" ja monimutkaisemmin kuin enkkua, mut pakko on myöntää, et on olemassa paljonkin asioita, joista osaisin englanniksi keskustella, mut en suomeksi :D

      Delete